NOTICE OF VACANCY IN THE JUDICIAL AND LEGAL SERVICE OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF DOMINICA
OFFICE OF MAGISTRATE
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Magistrate within the Magistrates Court, Ministry of National Security and Home Affairs.
Under the supervision of the Chief Magistrate, the Magistrate shall be responsible for:
- Exercising jurisdiction under the Magistrates Code of Procedure Ordinance in order to provide justice in legal court proceedings
- Adjudicating all Summary Criminal Cases, Matters Triable-Either-Way and quasi Criminal Matters
- Adjudicating all civil matters for which Magistrates have jurisdictions
- Conducting Preliminary Inquiries of Indictable (Criminal) Matters
- Facilitating citizens constitutional right of appeal
- Performing other Statutory Duties
- Bachelor of Laws Degree (LLB), Legal Education Certificate (LEC) or appropriate waiver from the Attorney General
- A minimum of Three (3) years’ legal experience
- Knowledge of Public Service Rules and Regulations;
- Knowledge of Public Service Act;
- Knowledge of the fundamental rules and Principles of law and jurisprudence;
- Knowledge of Rules of Evidence and the Criminal and Civil Court practice and procedure;
- Knowledge of Statutory Interpretation;
- Knowledge of Sentencing Guidelines and Principles;
- Skilled in report writing;
- Skilled in the interpretation and application of specified rules and regulations;
- Oral presentation skills;
- Skilled in interpreting and applying relevant sections of the laws;
- Skilled in judicial chairmanship;
- Skilled in judgment and decision writing;
- Skilled in legal research
The successful candidate will be contracted for a period of one (1) year in the first instance.
Salary and allowances are in accordance with the terms and conditions stipulated by the Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica in the Estimates.
Applications, along with certified copies of professional certificates, detailed Curriculum Vitae and two letters of reference should be submitted under confidential cover to:
Application for post of Magistrate
Ministry of National Security and Home Affairs
3rd Floor, Financial Centre
Commonwealth of Dominica
Applications should reach the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of National Security and Home Affairs on or before October 31, 2020.